University Field School • Outdoor Education • Duke of Edinburg Awards
Smoothwater is a superb facility for study and activity at many levels. With over 20 years supporting your educational needs, we've seen experiences at Smoothwater make real, lasting differences in the lives and careers of today's youth.
Located in the heartland of Temagami, university field schools have easy access to the area’s unique geology and forests, while relying on Smoothwater as basecamp.
Our outdoor educational programs are experiential and draw upon the current and historical Temagami experience. We challenge youth groups to examine ways in which their behaviours shape the world in which we live.
The Smoothwater 40 km. trail system is unique for Duke of Edinburgh bronze, silver and gold criteria.
Lodging & Workspace
• Dormitory (heated) for 20 with ensuite washhouses
• Private rooms for 10, with private bathrooms
• Gathering Hall for study, persentations, meetings
- Kitchen for meal service featuring whole, local foods
- Housekeeping services
- Dining hall
- 40 km trail system with outpost cabins
- Canoe and gear for fieldwork on James lake and environs
- Snowshoe and cross country ski rentals
- Wetland lake and marsh
- Decommissioned iron pyrite mine from 1912
- Rehabilitation of mine
- Logging camp remains from 1920s
- Proximity to ancient red and white pine forests
- Proximity to Teme-Augama Anishnabai heritage sites
Our Leadership Staff
Our leadership staff combines experience
with outdoor certifications. We have fun teaching youth about
the environment while snowshoeing and skiing, canoeing or
hiking. We also partner with local resource people such as
foresters, historians, mining and wildlife technicians, and
First Nations groups for a balanced approach to geographic
realities in Ontario. Even the meals at Smoothwater are all
about experiential learning.
About the Food
Students love our food. We challenge them with healthy choices
and culinary adventures. We walk the talk, supporting the
local foodshed of the Temiskaming region. It's rewarding to cook
with students, creating meals and baking bread.
Smoothwater is 450 km north of Toronto on primary highway #11. North Bay, Sudbury, Cobalt, Kirkland Lake, Timmins, and Rouyn, are easily accessed for day trips.
Rates Rates vary according to your level
of activity. Contact us to discuss your